I’m dreadful at building furniture, even from a kit, but I do enjoy building cupboards for some reason, whatever the outcomes, and these two small houses need some.
I had hoped that here would appear a link or even a photo of the style of storage cupboards I had in mind, but try as I might I had no luck.
I think I’ve lived in three Victorian houses that had had very little change made to them when I first saw them, and each of them had built-in storage space either side of the fireplace within the kitchen area, fitting flush with the chimney breast and usually reaching just short of or actually right up to the ceiling. The smaller house had a cupboard on only one side, but it was the same four-door cupboard arrangement, one pair over the other.
During the late 50s and 60s they tended to be removed in favour of making space for a washing machine or fridge, smaller fires or smokeless fuel burners, or simply for a more up-to-date style of general storage.
Victoria Villas have been built so small that only the one cupboard would be possible in the chimney breast embrasure at the front, but, as it would be sitting at right angles to the viewer you wouldn’t be able to see what was inside.
I made a couple of decisions and wish to declare that, like ‘open gardens’ I’m going for open cupboards. Think of it as Fling Cupboard Doors Friday.
The second decision comes in two parts; build triangular storage across from the front edge of the chimney breast and cutting back across the corner to the dividing wall between the houses at the front. Doesn’t give a lot of space but does allow for a taste of what’s going on and it will be visible to the viewer.
Building them short of the ceiling by a long way as didn’t want to cut into the various woodwork for picture rail etc that’s already there.
I always have trouble with door knobs, and am using up the ones I’ve got left so one cupboard has small knobs and the other oversized ones.
Some space for food and other things, thank goodness.
Don’t like this over-stuffed quilt and have bought a large number of bedspreads since I made it so that I wouldn’t be using it. Well, finally decided that the only bed cover that was going to fit in with the deathly green wallpaper and that wasn’t going to annoy was this quilt made before the houses were built. Should have known 🙂