Now I’ve actually seen the end of the Park book nook box I feel energised by new prospects.
So I’ve been a-building with a sort of plan in mind …
Aiming for what
I constantly need reminding that the point of all these boxes (other than the enjoyment, the puzzle and generally trying to keep an old brain ticking over) is to use up as much material (raw and finished items) of what I have to hand and the current project is driving towards something to house the remaining two pieces of the 50s matchbox suite (pic below).
The sofa and single remaining chair are rather bulky as a pair so part of the puzzle would be working out whether they both can be shoe-horned in to the same 8” cube while leaving space for an optical illusion of some rooms etc beyond the main body of the box shape, per the other book nook illusions.
Marking out the practicalities
Whoever ‘lives’ in this place is going to have to do without fireplaces for a start! Absolutely no room to be used up with something so cushy so will be setting the scene probably in the 70s or 80s when many fireplaces were not just boarded over but chimney breasts removed. Also lots of doors may well be still flush panelled over so those would be much easier to make. The definite switch to lots of white painted woodwork or unpainted wood would make things simpler too.
Because of the difficulty housing both remaining pieces of this suite I’m now going for a three-layer build of boxes; this one will be the ground floor, the one above a shared bedroom and the top box the attic bedroom.
On the left – three floors possible for a ‘full house’
Who lives here?
The period gives an opening for a wide mix of furnishing possibilities and, as the main theme I’ve picked is student housing, it can be a real mix and match job of nearly up-to-date bits and twenty year old items which the imaginary landlord has shovelled in to furnish it for the tenants.
I started out all bright and perky with building a Deco style bay window a little like in Nostalgia Close. If the floor space was being cut down by an optical illusion corridor then the room needed a bay adding to squeeze in a little more floor to make up for it, perhaps an inch or two. It could at least house the odd chair or bookcase. So I set out to build a curved deco bay.
A blocked gutter at Nostalgia Close – but that curved bay does give extra floor space
Making a rounded bay and my ever faithful bendy ruler to hand for measuring round the baking paper inner roll and the bent foamboard
Got so far with it when it struck me that in one of my storage boxes there was a bay window; not with a floor and probably not intended to have much of one, but definitely in need of using.
So am at present working on building out an overhanging box shape to house this. It may also need a little sliver of roofing added to the ready-made sliding sash bay I bought a couple of years ago as the bay may push it forward leaving a gap before its ready-made roofing.
Another couple of days passed
and I’d built the second bay.
How far I got with the homemade deco bay
before deciding that this certainly needed using
The built bay overhangs outside the cubby box
but certainly gives room for some furniture. These chairs are 1:16 but am making some 1:12 to try out
Also because I can’t squeeze both sofa and armchair into the space so with the three storey arrangement there’s room in a bedroom for an armchair – though it’s likely that lots of the furniture and the floors may end up semi disguised with student clutter. Therefore been collecting extraneous bits for messing up the place and made notes on that too.
One chunky 3-piece suite
and the beginnings of a clutter collection
At this point, with decisions made, things tend to fly in many directions; space v furnishings available, decor v furniture colours etc plus what is to hand that can be used up before I go shopping.
I do find that time spent letting this happen is useful and even more so with these box illusions ‘cos space restrictions are so tight. Using up approx 2” of depth from the back wall to add the mirror etc for other parts of the house is all well and good but it means stuffing the remaining space and dressing it sufficiently to give a viable ‘storyline’ of period, inhabitant(s) and daily doings.
Reflected in the angled mirror – a possible orange kitchen down the corridor?
So I’ve been taking a great deal of play time with bits of furnishings, lengths of paper and floor coverings and making notes of possible additions to colour schemes. And, of course, shopping!
Beginnings of a colour scheme (certainly needs perking up!)
Jane Harrop room divider kit being used as against back wall next to where door will be
Was busy staining the door pieces of the room divider (based on the Remploy design) when overcome by the familiarity of shape and colouring and turned around as I realized I had full sized storage cupboard behind me – made by a different company – seen above next to the kit piece. Link to current Remploy site.
Also bought in other Jane Harrop kits to furnish the other boxes of the house (time and fate allowing 🙂 )
4 x chairs, one floor lamp, a Utility bed and set of bunk beds.
These should certainly keep me quiet over the coming weeks and months.
In further items in the parcel delivery chain there should be some more hopefully suitable bits of fabric to set about the ‘house’ as curtains and cushions and strewn clothing.
Beginning a couple of the kitchen/dining chairs for this first box to go with the sofa and while each bit of the chair glue stands and dries I’ll have a go at painting and papering that bay before I change my mind about the overhang it causes.