Jettisoned the idea of a further shelf and went with a mirrored wall cupboard (non-opening). Items that would have lived on the shelf can just as easily live on the cupboard top 🙂
Also light testing time, door hanging time (still got chocks under one of them to hold it in place) and the final very mini packets put in place time too. On top of the cupboard is the Alka-Selzer and an extremely small packet of Aspro (very difficult to handle) and something else which I cannot at the moment recall but which also should be kept out of the reach of children.
I’ve used a black felt-tip to ink up the outer edge of the ‘wall’ light and added a pull cord to it too. I stood around for ages trying to work out whether to put a door knob on the inside of the airing cupboard but could see no sense in it, though don’t quite know how the shank of a single door know turns the mechanism – hey-ho. Just don’t get shut in there, is all I can say!
Upstairs and downstairs once more
there was a very dark green kitchen dresser
Yes, this is still about the bathroom
Cupboard in corner with a piece of packaging acting as glass top.
Linen box with cork top for all your bathroom needs such as a book to ruin in the bath and/or your transistor radio should you need it.
While I’m here I’ll tell you about some fiddling on the shelf
Added razor, brush and glass. Was going to paint at least the razor handle chrome but left as it is
Thought the razor and brush added a little lift in the clutter on the shelf
– – – ~ – – –
and the green dresser?
Guess where the corner cupboard came from
I bought the green dresser because I liked it and it was cheap and I also believed I might be able to use the top half in the kitchen of this 1930s to late 50s house. Actually it reminded me of the built-in cupboards you find in the kitchens of this period of house, although the trim at bottom and top gave it the look of an earlier period.
A not very suitable trim across the bottom and a pediment of sorts across the top finished it off.
Well, I broke it up, painted it a much lighter shade of green but this ‘new’ version of the top half, plus drawers, never fitted anywhere so I put it behind my ear for later, as it were.
The bottom half, however has a partial existence as the support to the kitchen sink.
Like this – now imagine what the remaining
half of the base would look like
Using the remains
Yesterday I started the rescue operation of the remaining base section, comprising one of its outer walls, part of the original back-board, a bit of base and a wildly swinging wooden door.
It’s now masquerading as that bathroom cupboard, having had its other half built up in 3 mm cardboard along with a new top in the card and a couple of internal bracing pieces too. Also added a new door handle more in keeping with the blocky styling of the period and painted the confection in a suitable shade of pink. It has really lumpy painting before sanding down. Used bits of that thin acetate (the packaging you get these days that’s more plastic-feeling than cellophane) to keep door open-able while paint dries
And the top half?
Well, my intention is to eventually move on to a fantasy/steampunk/medieval land build, once this current project has also moved on to its final stages. I’m sure I’ll find a home for the cupboard (with drawer?) in some scientific establishment that may or may not make up part of the future fantasy fling.
As one gets older, trying to sort out accrued possessions is so time consuming but I did make a quick dash to mini-land and took some shots of last evenings doings.
Still have the doors (one to the room and one to the airing cupboard), a small storage cupboard and shelf to make for the angle in the door corner and possibly a linen box too.
Looking a bit like ‘Mr Stripey’ has come to town but view of work to-date (with kitchen hovering underneath)
Messy corner on left – not good at hanging head down working from above but ’twas the best I could do your honour …
On the right we’re more or less ready to go but need to get hold of a small glass for the window cill, as only tumbler size to hand
- tiled the window cill
- gussied up the so called pelmet area
- finished dressing/decorating the very narrow walls each side that form the room opening to the outside
- added further tiling in both white and black strips to bring out a more Deco appearance
such as it is
Must take that packet of Efferdent out of the wash basin before it goes soggy!
Am, at present trying to throw together a tiled box-shaped end to the bath, as the bath does not come up to the end, opening, wall. Then I might add the odd bit and piece of evidence of life there as well. Must put the single row of white and narrow band of black round the bath area to match up. Off I go …