That there roof
I find when making things up as I go along that photos of originals are great; drawings and plans are wonderful.
I need a more 3D jumping off point to fire me up, a fiddle about with angles, heights, places that need adjustment, others that need a bit of a ‘cheat’ applied. Then the photos, drawings and plans begin to make more practical sense in relation to the build I’ve already thrown together.
The morning started early (06:00) with homemade yoghurt to decant. I like my yog thick so strain the cooled first makings in a jelly bag over night. Today at some point, when I was bottling up the drained off whey for cooking use, I caught sight of the state of the floor and, still pouring, I thought “right, that’s the next job” and, of course, spilt a great sploosh of whey all over said floor.
So my ‘tide’ was one of rather sloppy whey liquid – which I took firmly with a mop and bucket.
A new possibility in motivational experiences?
Got the yoghurt, the bottled whey and the cleaned up floor sorted out and felt so energised, I marched off into the Potting Shed and, totally ignoring all my qualms about starting the roof as I still have very little idea of the skeletal framework shape or of the best way to split it for the ‘slice of cake’ section, I somewhat breathlessly dragged out a sheet of foam board to play with along with a protractor and started on the skin of the roof.
The size of the hip triangular shape has me seriously concerned and I desperately needed to see it and mark out its ‘shadow’ on the attic floor so that a skeletal design might at least start.
Back to those photos
There is a central ridge but it only starts at the top of the hip shape and then runs on to cover the next door semi, non-existent here so the ridge has to run straight into a vertical party wall.
However, the silly slice of cake section runs one inch further on towards the back than the ridge line! How, you may well ask. I can only think that somewhere at the very beginning of this current adventure, I must have made adjustment for the bay which sticks out the same amount, without taking into account that it wouldn’t matter anyway as the difference was, as they say “all out front”.
Still working on that problem but hopefully I can tackle it when the wood framework is being worked out. Possibly a bit of an overhang from the back to cover to the ridge? Or better still, the other way round – a short run of down slope from the ridge line to cover the back bedroom attic edge.
Spaces created in the roof
I’ve decided that I will dress some parts of the attic spaces and block off others. Part of the area above the boys bedroom will be one of the spaces left open for viewing. It is directly behind this roof split and it’s just possible that the anomaly caused by the split may be less noticeable/annoying because of the scenes of mayhem/storage sitting up there. One can only dream.
A clothes peg and foam board experience
A base for the roof
Over all the room ceilings will be placed a single sheet of boarding on which to rest the roof – or at least an ‘L’ shape on the main section and a separate oblong on the removable part. This base will need fixing down, but, in fantasy land it would be nice if a part of it over the bathroom could be slipped out so that the wiring run in the airing cupboard can be got at if necessary. Because of the external plumbing/drainage items such as down pipes this is probably not a possibility but I’m working on it in my head.
There will, however, come a time when I get in such a knot with it that it may prove much easier to say forget the whole idea and let the electrics do what they do. It will be much simpler to light with external spots any areas that go ‘dead’ than to get in there and mend.
Outcome of taking affairs at the ‘flood’
No great shakes for the passing observer and, on the whole, it looks just like two odd pieces of foam board leaning against each other, doesn’t it?
I do find it very reassuring to see that the whole thing needn’t be grossly high to the ridge and with a plumb line I reckon I could figure out some of the support features needed too.
I do feel better now.
And, oh yes … a ps: yesterday I came across a bunch of articles on WordPress advising that probably in April sometime, they are changing the interface for blogs. There’s some vague talk of the odd chosen layout possibly not looking or working quite as previously.
Please accept my apologies in advance just in case the next time you drop by the facilities don’t seem to be quite what you expected. It may take me some time to adjust things, and then again it may be perfectly OK. Don’t know until etc.