Beautiful, beautiful work …
Been kidnapped by life for a few days, popping my head around the Potting Shed door from time to time to make sure everything was still there as it were.
Did manage to play or should I say hide in there occasionally.
In the sitting room
In the kitchen
In the boys’ bedroom
and the bathroom – which is where I’m supposed to be
but really ought to finish the tiling, make the shelves and do the doors and windows.
See you next week all being well 😉
putting off the inevitable
There are two sections of the house – no, probably three – that I’ve been avoiding. The sitting room, as I wanted to know what would be left over from the rest of the house for cramming in there; the shed outside the side door entrance for housing the wiring, and the bathroom. That sitting room is still going to have to wait as the shed may come first there.
I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions but should really have known better than to keep avoiding the major question of what might be called “the facilities”. I had fancied a super bathroom suite but, as it cost approximately £100 and I have spent far too much getting this far, a compromise has been made. I mean, we needed a new, full-sized, real wash-hand basin and that didn’t cost that much!
Bathroom it is then but until I’d fiddled out where to put the porcelain pieces I didn’t want to cut out the windows. Not many folk want a huge window looking directly onto the bath or toilet affording them too much ventilation in all the wrong places.
At first I fussed around, worrying if the plumbing for the waste would work out if it were real, but soon saw reason in favour of the fact that it is just a dolls house 😉 Still going to cause problems, though, as would like to add external pipework.
I also wanted to take into account my proposed floor covering for the bathroom, but more of that much, much later.
Placing the porcelain
There’s been no equipment or area dedicated to heating the water, so assuming it’s immersion heater only, the hot water cylinder (a very small one) could be in the bathroom airing cupboard which sits directly over the pantry. I’m actually using it to hide the lighting extensions that run out of the side wall down to the as yet unbuilt shed.
Windows and back wall closure next
The back face of the kitchen and bathroom are the only areas of house that need their own reveal. They are not exposed in full by the removal of the slice of cake.
Downstairs in the kitchen the opening wants to be as wide as possible so the viewer can nose around, but upstairs there is a need for less opening and more wall space to house the equipment. The first opening wall was made ages ago pre purchase of bathroom goods, so now, knowing the sizes and probable placement of them I had to cobble together a new one. This new wall is not a very sensible shape but I’ll just see how it goes.
Windows as viewing posts
I do enjoy a good view through a dolls house window. The aim here is to be able to see from the bathroom, down the corridor and into the small front bedroom and, of course from the front through to the bathroom. Along with that a further view of more of the bathroom from both the back and side faces of the house would be nice. The same goes for the kitchen windows.
Going to mess about with that back wall and see if it really works.
Some time ago I bought a ceiling airer kit from Sussex Crafts but not put it up. It has lovely pulleys that need inserting into the ceiling of the room and then threading with the ‘rope’. The whole kit is great and easy to assemble but I didn’t want to have it dangling from the loose ceiling while trying to fix said ceiling in place – reckoned I’d end up wrapping it around everything that was already set out in there. I’d held off doing it after that as wasn’t sure of the best way to align the pulleys in the fixed ceiling and then fit my arms and head into the small space while the threading the pulleys etc.
Thought about using magnets and a piece of card/wood but the magnets wouldn’t stay up. In the end I’ve used a strip of mount board the same colour as the ceiling paper so could assemble all the pulley/rope work on the work bench and am pretending the lump of card is an obliging piece of timber that’s been painted to match and to take the weight of the clothes airer as it hangs from the ceiling.
There should be a (2) in the finishings off soon for the sitting room, where the dog sits patiently on the sofa waiting for attention. Think I’ve got everything to hand now so that should be sorted soon-ish and the dog will then be able to have his cup of tea in peace.