The bed itself
The whole mattress area is a removable pallet so that lots and lots of wiring from this side of the whole house can be accessed in the future should the need arise.
And now I’ve finished it (that is the bed) I think. It and the bed posts, curtains and pillows are set in place.
Although the edges of the bed have been in shot in other photos, the last time we saw bed in full it looked like this:
Red Bed position in relation to this area of the house. Just a bed head and one wall so far. It does show the bed platform which is in two pieces divided across the centre.
This is at the stage of trying out alternatives for furniture and draping fabric here and there to get a feel for what’s happening.
Lots of red but could do with a little contrast?
Throw in some ecru pillows perhaps.
Need for bedposts – or something
The removable front section
If you look to each side of the ‘would be’ bed curtains in the above pics you can see there are undressed uprights and a gap to each side. Bedposts seem the easiest way to dress the area
The bedposts need to be as far away from the bed as possible. Not making any sense? Well the front section of the room (see photo) is removable and will have the bedposts attached along with the LED light set to pick out the underside of the canopy. But the curtains for the end of the bed don’t want to foul the bedposts too much and/or cover the light.
In the end I’ve used two pieces of moulding side by side,
jammed under the above cross-piece, stuck to brown paper to give extra support
and thus together making one bedpost wide enough for the space but not too wide
One dressed bed with its bits and pieces
Two sets of pillows and ornate footstools from Angela Downton for the climbing into bed
Taking a closer look
and a flash photo of the room so far, for those who don’t like peering in the dark
Whilst this one is taken with only the miniature room lights, shows up some of the detail of the bed canopy OK even if it does spill on the left-hand curtain too.
Planked and worn balsa wood shutters on the unglazed window. the wall doesn’t quite meet the floor!
Changed the bright and yellowy end wall to dark and brooding. Here the porch is turned round the wrong way and the photo shows the railing in the Guild Master’s office above.
I’ve added shutters to one of the windows, having trimmed the panel edges on that side, and changed the end wall.
The ‘out’ and the ‘dark’
From the colourful porch
step out into the uneven dark
Stones and paving and brickwork – balsa, air-drying clay and egg boxes
Balsa stripwood mounting block – still needs a rub down
There now are strange not quite cobbles and not quite tiles or slabs at the front and a little down the sides, where it changes into broken crazy paving, and I’ve added a balsa wood mounting block round there too. I went for the wobbly cobbly look as a contrast to the smootho of the internal tiling. They all need grouting and plant life adding, at which point the bilious colouring should be less in evidence.
Just grouted it and it still looks bilious
Half inch slice of a chunky straw
For somewhere on the wall – external lighting and own in this photo
Daylight and own light only – quite bright but localised
I’ve had a go at two tallow ‘horn’ lamps with the light bulb at the bottom but have yet to put them up. They need the other trim bits adding to the porch and the doors too, so that I can see where’s the best position that’s available for these lamps. They are made from the inevitable balsa bits of stripwood for the base and back, a slice of a very wide see through drinking straw for the horn lantern look, jewellery findings for the pointy top to the lamp, florists wire for the handle and a cut down toggle for the lamp well. The toggle is one you might use on a kagool or a full-sized pull light cord, but it needed chopping down to size and painting. And of course there’s a very small wired light bulb in there too.