Tag Archives: compromise

Open and shut case

Standard

I’ve spent most of the recent mini-ing time on roof-ful brooding.

Still mithering on

Going round and around in circles trying to keep things simple but give access to light controls and the loft rooms.

  • Top of the list would have been to have my brain checked:  too late for that
  • Most favourable and practical would be an all-in-one, simple roof that is totally removable:  not gone for simple roof so that’s out
  • Next would have been to split it in two halves both of which would be removable and have them meeting at the ridge:  that messes up the ridge and wasn’t sure I could work that out

Working with what’s there

Best way out is to ignore it while it cooks away in the old brain box and do something else so I fiddle with the carpet across the great hall table.  The hanging edge needed weighting in some way as it wouldn’t lie flat.

And now the roof so far

The second bedroom

theinfill dolls house blog Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - a Medieval, Tudor, Jacobean dolls house blog - second loft bedroom

It’s up there over the meat room

theinfill dolls house blog Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - a Medieval, Tudor, Jacobean dolls house blog - second loft bedroom hiding wiring and lighting room

Ashwood Designs has made various lamps that are used around the building. Some have bulbs, some have candles only. This bedroom has a fairy light available that needed housing and it just so happened that the last Ashwood lamp I had was a candle one that had rattled around in storage here and needed its base putting back.

In the last photo you can see the boxing in on lower left two-thirds, hiding the robust fairy light wiring that lights the rooms down below and the door at the left is the mock one for the alleyway torch controls. I don’t much like rooms with lots of doors in them (or open wardrobes for that matter) but the two mock doors are to ‘dead’ areas in the loft.

Solution to part of the roof problem

Another ‘something else’ activity

Finally got round to dressing the room properly more or less.

A bit of lots and none at all, but suspect my brain is now going to be incommunicado until such time as this roof is finally fixed.

See you then 😉

 

 

‘Listening’ a little more

Standard

Building a fantasy model or writing a tale?

The answer, I realise more than ever, is both.  By now this house has its own character and it’s been fighting to get a word in edgewise and write its own story over the whole roof/chimney/cupola thing.

I failed to listen.

It told me it wanted cupolas.  I tried three and decided probably not to use any.  Now I find I’m back with one, central(ish) as the building insisted.  (I’m still not convinced!)

How long did I put off building this roof?  Years, I think.  The need, or rather the demanded was for a complex hill and vale arrangement and I’d no idea how to go about it.  But here we are with so many valleys and flat sections that it’s just as well I use paper or card for the leads.

theinfill Medieval, Tudor, Jacobean 1:12 dolls house blog - the infill dolls house blog – brickwork detailing on chimney pots in place

Now, the chimneys were entirely my fault.  The house hadn’t established itself at the time the first chimney arrived and I was totally overcome by owning some of those lovely Tudor pots.  But it was not to be.

theinfill Medieval, Tudor, Jacobean 1:12 dolls house blog - the infill dolls house blog – brickwork detailing on chimney pots in place 2

It’s just possible that the house and I may be working together more over these three contentious areas.  Loads more to do still, but I’m ‘listening’.