Category Archives: Themed settings and boxes

A little bit of mini

Standard

May be activity restricted but what’s left of the brain seems to be still churning away, so today (after doing exercise, of course) I took a fancy to build one of the pieces of kit furniture bought for a Deco 1:24 box project.

First the box

Kit number 01

The scene looks as though it will be quite deep, but the other kit needs building first before I can fix my ideas a little more for kitchenalia and a possible mock window/doorway – oh so many opportunities 🙂

Pottering in all directions

Standard

(potteringmeaning)

The Trombone Clip

(if you’ve clicked the trombone link above, tell me that doesn’t look just like a giant paperclip)

Been having some glorious sunshine (though horribly windy) and spent loads of time ‘autumnising’ the garden and thinking big thoughts around mini-ing.

Just got back to working with the players in the band and roughing up a trombone for the other part of the brass section.  Then I realised the second figure (for whom it was intended) couldn’t possibly play it as his cheeks stick out too far and he’d never get it over his shoulder.  He’s Mr Oval and he’ll have to go with the hose pipe horn instead which is all in front as it were, whilst Mr P has the trombone.  Such as it is.

theinfill dolls house blog Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - a Medieval, Tudor, Jacobean dolls house blog - new projects - creative paperclay semi dressed full figure 2

I do love paperclips.   This ones pretty big.  The miniature funnel for the bell of the trombone needs building up a little towards the back and is generally not fully attached  yet so if you blink it may well fall off, but his hands are not too bad for holding the paperclip in place.

And the big thoughts?

I’ve said I’d not build another house but there’s this ‘thing’ that’s a-growing-of and won’t go away, so I might, just might end up doing it anyway.  Sort of UK 1930s styling, but as it’s still festering away in my head I’ll let it grow a little more before I blab too much 😉

 

Experimenting – not potting up plants

Standard

but taking a plunge or two

I’ve been putting off and putting off making decisions about the five bandstand figures and about various bits of finish for the bandstand itself.  Just mulling it over, you know.  There comes a time when mulling for too long turns it sour and we’ve about reached that here so it’s stick a pin in it time on these two problems.

  • For the figures I’m looking for cartoon figures with various eccentricities but should these include unusual feet and hands or not?
  • For the bandstand – how much should remain white and how overgrown is the rest of it?

Ouch and Splash

(Warning never take the plunge with a pin in your hand)

Have just stuck down an edging of slate blue egg box crazy paving on a background of more greenery/paint and ground cover dust.  This for the horizontal edge around the bandstand in the hope that it will give it a bit of visual grounding/weight while leaving the general white kiosk look.

The heads and shoulders of the five have now come together along with pipe-cleaners for the core of the arms and giving the heads the angle I’d like.

theinfill dolls house blog Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - a Medieval, Tudor, Jacobean dolls house blog - new projects - creative paperclay heads and sausage shaped shoulders

These are as dry as two weeks can make them. Was concerned that with exaggerated noses etc that they might fall apart but OK today when handling and threading up with shirring elastic.
Looks like we’ve got some trouble between the hanging ‘tubular bells’ player on the left and the drummer on the right though

(Fanfare please), knowing that I’m dreadful with hands I’ve been doing some deep thinking and had a bandsman’s white gloved hand moment!   Made a try at forming large hands with glove cuffs and a shirt cuff too.  To go with that idea there’s a try-out pair of large boots (to be painted black) with bits of clay as laces and with longish ankles which may or may not become painted/stripey socks.

If they work then there’s another four sets of each to be made and if not there’s just the one set to hide in a box somewhere.  They’re going to take quite a few days to dry out so I’d better move on to the other decisions I’m pretending don’t exist.

Or I could always do that potting up I failed to do today 😉

Greenery – real and not so real

Standard

A tale of back and forth
depending on the sunshine

We’ve been having some wonderful weather and autumn always means gardening demands.  I’ve been promising myself that I’d clean out the dead and misplaced greenery and rebuild various flower beds whilst in the mini-ing department there’s lots of bits of string to stick down, promising me that it will begin to look like greenery someday.

More sunshine today after a night of rain but my knees have given up so probably go for indoor work (potting up items that need new homes and rescuing self-seeded individuals that might overwinter) with mini-ing on the side of course.