Safety warning perhaps?
First find the face mask. I’m using very thin fibreglass cladding for the brickwork on the lower half of the walls and each time I’ve handled it I’ve forgotten to find the mask first. It does make some dust when you’re cutting it (not much) and what I find worst of all are the bits that get into the skin of your hands. I tried wearing small, thin, medical gloves but found that I couldn’t get the fine finger management for adjusting anything.
I’m not advertising this cladding very well am I, but I do like the look of it.
The sheets of cladding come with an edge that needs trimming on at least three sides. When you first look at it you can see that the imprint of the brick pattern isn’t square to some of the edges. Trimming off the waste is tricky, keeping square with the run of the bricks.
It’s also possible that the building isn’t all that wonky but that I’m not capable of handling large sheets of material without avoiding distortion.
Other handling notes to self
- I’ve cut the door space leaving enough to turn in for the reveals which are now glued back. The material doesn’t like that at all and it takes some time to encourage the folding back pieces to remain where you’d like them and not crack or break up.
- I’d also forgotten how hard I found joining sheets of the cladding when doing the facade. I couldn’t get the bricks to align. They do when you have them side by side on a flat table but once they got anywhere near my ‘not quite square’ building activities, it just didn’t work.
Well, the small piece from the bay and over the porch isn’t that big so there goes the distortion theory, perhaps.
I’ve cut out every alternate brick (see the edge of the sheet in the first photo) and, in this case, overlaid the new sheet on the old. You can see in the second of these two photos here just how much the new piece overlaps the first one.
If I’d remembered sooner I could have tried giving both edges a crenellated finish and interweaving them, though it is fragile material. However, in this case, the long sheet was already stuck down when the misalignment struck.
Despite the list of ‘complaints’, I do like this brickwork when it is in place. Not sure whether this ‘few courses at a time’ routine is going to work with the next bit and we could be finding unnecessary plumbing or climbing plants in unexpected places to disguise the resulting mess. I’ll let you know 😉 I could be regretting not staying with the egg box bricks!