One-piece deco style bedroom fireplace front

Standard

Too windy to go out – again

In frustration with the weather and no possibility of a walk or gardening, I had a rush of blood to the head, and as there was a ready prepared sheet of homemade tiles to hand I made a fireplace that I thought I might share.  The previous fireplaces I’ve done by sticking the tile sheet to 3 mm cardboard, but I thought it might be a good wheeze to try making one as you would make a cardboard box lid.

I do tend to go into far too much detail not wanting to miss anything out, I’m not sure whether I’ve erred one way or the other with this attempt at an explanation.  Probably a bit hit and miss – hope there’s not too much I miss.

theinfill art deco dolls house blog, theinfill dolls house blog, theinfill 1930s-50s Deco House, Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - Medieval Tudor Jacobean dolls house blog - back bedrrom fireplace

I started with my sheet of tiles made in the last week or so with thin card, shades of paint and a sponge or two

theinfill art deco dolls house blog, theinfill dolls house blog, theinfill 1930s-50s Deco House, Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - Medieval Tudor Jacobean dolls house blog - back bedrrom fireplace

and ended up with this

Accident dropping the knife there on the right and some rough cutting and folding here and there but it may well do the job in the boys’ bedroom.

Ingredients

  • Tiling 1 cm squares –
                         NB:  all descriptions of sizes are based on this measurement so, if you are going for a different size of tile you’ll need to adjust all the following figures accordingly.
  • Scalpel, glue, scissors, bits of scrap wood strip

I think I did the following

Cut a section of tiling 9 cm tall, 7 cm wide

Found centres top and bottom

Decide on size of grate opening – this one’s about 2 cms wide.
For the height of the grate I would like a finished height of 3 cms but would also like to turn one layer of tile under (1 cm) for extra rigidity, so have cut at 4 cms height for opening with that in mind.

Let’s go on with photos

theinfill art deco dolls house blog, theinfill dolls house blog, theinfill 1930s-50s Deco House, Hogepotche Hall –Hodgepodge Hall - Medieval Tudor Jacobean dolls house blog - back bedrrom fireplace

I’d already done a dry run so this piece is cut and scored as I was too lazy (and didn’t have spare tiles) to make a fresh start for you.
You can see the grate opening at 4 cms height.

Because the overall width of the tiling sheet is an odd number the grate opening leaves a half tile each side at the front.

  • One tile in, gently score up the long sides (on the painted face of the tiles) and bend back to create the outer edges that will meet the chimney breast.
  • Score and bend the grate opening inwards.  I like to cut mine this way as it gives a finished face to most of the return edge of the grate opening.
  • Similarly, one tile down from the top score and bend that row to become the mantelpiece
    and one tile up from the bottom of the sheet, score bend to create a base, ready for cuts to be made there later as well.

Now for some of the cuts

Here we’re trying to make the dropped mantlepiece look with two small side niches, each 1 cm square and 1 cm down from the top mantlepiece ledge.

Bottom scoring and cutting

If not already done, score along the bottom one tile row up.  You can see when you bend it backwards to form a base that the outer edges of the whole fireplace need one tile releasing with a cut so it can bend at 90° under the base and similarly at the grate opening each side.

Because of the narrowness of the remaining face of the fireplace, when trying to stick down the two now released 1 cm squares at the bottom I found that I needed to trim at least one of these newly freed tiles so that they did not overlap each other and make the bottom wonky.  The second photo below shows the cut and bent in tiles at the base.

I do hope this is not all gobbledygook and apologies if I’ve missed too much out.

It certainly made a change from sticking card tiles on yet more card but now I must work out how it will meet the chimney breast.  I reckon that once the hearth is added and the whole thing is more stable I could add a closely fitted thin card or even paper across the back and use that as an anchoring point with museum wax or similar perhaps.

2 responses »

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.