Been delaying this for various reasons but here it is, one way or another 😉
There she sits, on the half landing and hard up against the bathroom/lavatory wall
As we go up the stairs from the front door …
Not stained glass but opaque
What I had a fancy for in the coloured glass range turned out to be a non-starter so I’ve used some odd things to create an opaque look.
But first I did my usual messy cardboard template/core which I then cut ready-painted strips of wood for both faces
I bought one pack of spill matting and one of non-slip matting from the local cheap retailer
and selected the spill mat for this window – might use the same or the bubble look one for the bathroom(?)
The matting is floppy and might sag a little so I’ve sandwiched it with a piece of rigid acetate, binding the edges with scrap paper and glue to the outer edge of the window frame now clad in its wood strip.
Looks a bit like a double glazing unit now. This has made one side of the frame flush faced and one with the astrigals more visible. I also painted the paper binding again with Mod Podge glue to make sure it became a firm-ish surface as it has to slide in to a tight fit
I decided that the flush face of the window would be the outside astrigals
and the inside face looks like this and is in need of another coat of paint
Now what we’ve got is this. Why I’ve put the pelmet so high up so that it shows the top window trim I don’t know but there it is. I think I’ll see if I can get a vase to balance on the cill perhaps and add a little colour.
While outside it looks like this. The top, bottom and central woodwork is added on this plastic surface and surprisingly seems to have stayed in place. The cross pieces I’ll add when the outer frame connecting the window to the wall has been added as that will give the little bits somewhere to cling to. This outer wall is to be white rough cast finish with brick edging to the window too, I think.
A light on the landing
There’s another one of those domed chrome lamps to match the one by the phone. I’ll see if I can get it to stay up as a wall light, which it’s supposed to be. It would give an interesting look from the outside as its light is pretty bright. As it would be in the wall that will be the back of the linen cupboard which will be stacked with goodies, the back wall won’t be particularly visible so I might be able to embed its base into the wall through the full thickness, thereby giving the lamp some extra support.
A wall for the wall light
Next job up is to work out the kitchen/hall and bathroom hall walling. I recall various houses of this style having a separate toilet (with a high cistern) immediately as you sharp turn left on the upper landing. Because this is a doll’s house it wouldn’t be visible encased as a separate room so that area is to become a recessed linen cupboard in the bathroom with all the porcelain ware in the one room together. This decision means the upstairs walling will not fully coincide with the downstairs kitchen walls so I’m going to need some sky hooks until the kitchen and downstairs ceilings are in, I think.