– cleaning, sorting and gambling on fabric
Getting back into the swing of things takes some doing after a long break. Not laid a finger on the actual model for best part of – is it seven weeks now? – at least since well before Christmas. A couple of mornings ago I took a look at what’s lying around on the tables of the ‘Potting Shed’ and thought “Really?”
Usually when I break off midway through a job, everything gets left fairly well aligned; not neat but sorted into collection trays of what’s going on such as a tray with half finished fireplace and its making, tray of instruments/tools last used for particular job in hand. You get the idea. They’re usually circling whatever was last being done, but here there are things missing and shuffled around like a pack of cards.
Owning up time
In an effort to shake off the virus ridden daze, I’ve recently been rootling around a bit so that I could have some smaller activity to keep the mind and hands going. Result – havoc among what was a carefully choreographed layout.
The only thing to do is to embark on a mildly thorough clean up.
Explanation of ‘mildly thorough’:
- total disruption around the outer edges
- a sorting out into understandable places
- + gentle sorting only closest to the centre of work
This way should find where most of the equipment has got to, what the peripheral trays are doing where they are (and why) and eventually locate the centre of the disarray. Theory being that arising from the rubble, there will be a clearer view of what the heck was going on in the Potting Shed last year.
A storm of materials and other gubbins has spilled out all over the dining table during the past few weeks too and this must cease!
Following on from the ‘wool filing’ (see previous blog entry) I’ve worked further around the outer-outer edges of the total disruption zone. Been going through hoards of stuff (there is no better word for it – or perhaps there is and it’s rubbish) with the thought of putting some of the larger mini-ing storage items in any newly gained spaces, giving magic elbow room where it is much needed. Can’t promise that it’ll work but the intentions are good and, if the dining table is cleared then there’ll be room to spread once more won’t there 😉
Sitting down jobs
I’ve tried ribbon binding and stitching the edges of some flannel/winceyette for mini blankets. Also have very successfully managed to lose the first few blankets made so far and have started again today.
Plus I’ve made a mess of trying to create a candlewick bedspread from an old face cloth but it did set me thinking about the possibilities of textured fleece for a coverlet.
And must own up to having become hypnotised buying fat quarters (and this link too). The hope is some of them might be suitable fabrics for curtaining and general 1:12 décor in the current house. Finding it totally mesmerising – I see a piece that would do for other jobs but not what I’m supposed to be looking for, or a piece arrives and, glorious as it is, it isn’t quite ‘it’, so on with the search in case I missed the very one I was looking for …
No, no must go back to the blanket stitch edging, it’s got to get neater some time if I keep at it.