Lots of bits to do at home over next few days so sneaking in a posting now.
This is 1616 and the living space (if you have the money) has moved on from one long room with a hole in the roof above a central fire to chimneys and upper storeys.
This imaginary large establishment will have:
- Visitors and others seeking to be fed
- Servants some of whom may need housing
- Food animals, both live and slaughtered to be stored
- Fresh items such as milk, cheese, beer, wine requiring careful keeping
- Seasonal harvests of vegetables and fruits to be preserved or kept airy, dry and cool
I’m going with an attached set of kitchen premises, raised up a little from the damp and some of the pests, and built so that it will be cooler than the cooking area. The kitchen cooking and final preparation area will be on the left end of the plan below with the scullery open to it as a continuation of that space.
Making more stone for the imagined kitchen extension
Trying to get ahead of myself and prepare the raw materials for the walls of this structure and so am making more stone and brickwork bits and pieces.
Came across a new to me paint additive making sandy-rough finish which can be mixed in or painted over. Thought it might give a good texture for the stonework.
Take out the stencil. I’ve used this a couple of times: first time was for the tower and great hall extension generally and I used it as directed, spraying the glue to the back of it so that it wouldn’t slip whilst the special modelling cement is splodged on. The second time I used it for drawing the shapes and then cutting out the stones and sticking them down in the same repeat and I used this and am using it around the outside of the main model here and there. A long way round and daft, I know, but it sort of worked and it made a change from all the woodwork and building.
This time I’ve run out of the nasty spray on glue and tried to get away without but, of course the sponged in thickened paint bled under the stencil however hard it was pinned down. Unfortunately the leakage between stood prouder than the stone shapes in some places and wouldn’t be peeled or carved off. Back to the cutting out and sticking down in the repeat pattern once more.
The finished item I think probably has too much pointing and not enough stone, but will have to see how it looks set out. Only need 2.5” of stone to run along the base of each outer wall so this new sheet will be cut into lengths and might be enough for the outside run. Will need to finish off some more for an internal dividing wall, but will leave that for another day I think.
Ticking off items on to do list
Meanwhile I’ve been using up the remaining older stonework to construct the outer layer of the chimney face in removable sections. Almost there and then it will need its edges finishing off one way or another.