Title: Goon Show Classics #10
Less “vamp till ready” more a bit of a digital fandango
4th April 2014
The Naming of the House
Hereinafter to be known as Hogepotche Hall – that is unless and until what passes for a mind around here changes.
Waiting on delivery of wood lengths to work with here and there and am a little stymied until they arrive. Progress on sitting and dining room outer walls so far: have all bits stuck (except the corbels as they’ll go on last), so am working around the prob ’til stuff turns up. Will update this post as things move along.
The above slides? Well, gently mucking around with photos to see if I can get a better perspective on what I’m doing is my equivalent of twiddling my thumbs. These are of the two outer walls set out on the work table more or less as they would be on the model. Am I any the wiser? I know I prefer the drawing and semi colour effect over the gingery brown reality. Should look less ginger when not under a spotlight and both sections are sitting under jetting causing shadow. Fingers crossed.
5th April 2014
Planning the wall above
Aha! The White Tack
Temporarily held in place, it is a little easier to see what’s what and how it all looks in the vertical. Think I might take down the colour of some of those panels a little to reduce the orange glow.
The next move is to layout the design of the wall for the room above them – the second bedroom on the Long Gallery floor (for which I have all the wood I need).
It has to sort of blend/match with the main window wall of the Arnolfini bedroom to the right and sit OK with these two front walls now white tacked below it.
With a bit of this and a bit of that I have set out lengths on a board to see what it might look like and taken photos. Sometimes it’s easier to see on a screen than when it’s set out flat.
I decided it might do as a start, but without being able to see it properly with the sitting and dining room frontages who can tell?
The next best thing would be to make a digital mock-up. Taking this first photo of the two lower rooms, along with the photo of the dry layout of the bedroom wall, I made a new image.
A stack of three
Still not enough? Well, on this floor the Long Gallery second leg wall has to fit in between the bedroom and the Arnolfini room, jetting forward a little further, and hopefully blending in if possible. I could use the bedroom wall photo as a rough digital template to create an idea of the possibilities. Sizes and proportions will vary quite a bit but probably not so much that the created image is of little use to the mind’s eye.
Add the green man fridge magnet to the Long Gallery windows, a cut out image of the relevant Arnolfini room wall plus a resize of the unfinished rooms below it, and voila!
Print out pin up and keep looking at it until I can make up my mind about the possibilities – by then the other wood might have arrived too.