Been doing many jobs, each involving lots of small tasks building up to a complete area, so I figured it was time I owned up to one or two of the smaller ones.
The largish area of stonework above the south side Great Hall windows has been giving me the itch. A general feeling that it needed a course of stonework adding a little shape to the face of the building. I’ve just bought a bundle of miniature mouldings from eBay, amongst which were some modern skirting boards.
The skirting inverted would make an ideal trim. Throw in the odd corbel and the whole thing might look more structural.
The corbels were going on large side to wall, when the urge to stick statuary on them overcame me.
So I turned them around to give a larger ledge.
Gargoyles from DAS
Once the wood was shaped, scored, and painted, I got out the clay and fiddled on whilst the wood glue and filler dried out, hopefully firmly attaching the new trim. The whole area needed a colour touch up when dry.
The first photo is of a tryout of the heads whilst still slightly wet so that the backs and bases could be suitably deformed to fit the corbel tops and the moulding surface.
When all was mostly dry, the gargoyles were dusted with various colours of chalk pastels, gently brushed for a little harmony of colouring and glued in place to be varnished in situ.
The present look of the south face stonewall
- Rogues, gargoyles and gallery…. (zoeboccabella.com)