Aside

Chimney outer facetheinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog - externals

Still working on the west ‘aspect’ and it’s time the chimney had some removable cladding made.    The bottom half is to be stonework and the rest brick, with removable sections as it conceals a wiring run.

As there’s more spare stenciled stonework left over to do the job, I’ve decided on the egg box method to produce more – a sort of compare and contrast exercise.  It will be worth the use of the morning not to have to work with the cement mix again, unless I really need to:  longer to set up and brings me out in skin rash.

Finding the repeat in the stencil

Having decided on a section of the original stencil pattern that might, it took just less than one twelve egg box lid to provide coverage up to where it shoulders inwards, so I didn’t spend that much time creating mini blocks and gluing them in place.

theinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog – externals

Chimney shape with egg box bits applied

theinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog – externals

Looking like an explosion in an egg box factory.  Surfaces have good texture tho possibly rougher than existing stonework(?)

Once the glue was dry they received a foundation all over of shades of grey using chalk pastels.  Then back to the glue pot (white glue) and, with a medium stiff brush, splodging of glue over all.  The non-floppy brush is to ensure that colour gets pushed in and the splodging action is to prevent damage to the delicate surface of the cardboard. Any excess glue is patted off.  To this, whilst still wet,  is added shavings off various other shades and colours of pastel, and with a dry brush, which needs to be wiped clean as you go along, the chalky shavings are splodged in.  Can get a little muddy looking if you don’t take care.  As it becomes nearly dry, fresh shades are added and rubbed in with finger tip.  The whole takes very little time.

theinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog – externals

First pass of sprinkles on glue splodge – pre grout

theinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog – externals

And second pass with a little more subtlety of shading

I’ve described my finger painting method in detail as it’s probably not the most orthodox or best way to do the job.  For me, it works, but others may find it not their thing.  I find it quick, easy and controllable whilst using very little equipment.

theinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog – externals

Try out the colours of the wet egg boxes against stonework in place on the model.  Think it may be OK when the grouting is added.

theinfill - Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean dolls house blog – externals

A little more textured and wider spaced than the originals but I think it may do.  All excess grout has been cleared and yet it looks like the ‘stonework’ shrank in the wash.

Shall work on, on the assumption that it will ‘do’ and make a final decision prior to fitting, I think.

Note to self: there’s not enough spare stonework to do the job

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s