Gone a bit Continental with an admix of Aran
Here’s a group of pics that show some of the results of what I’ve been up to this week. They involve a long but not jetted ‘wood and plaster’ wall which meets the previous one at right angles.
For some reason as yet unknown to me other than possibly to save whole pieces of board, I cut this out of three bits. So the first thing that needed to be done was make them one asap. I sorted out the wood I wished to use and did the necessary with the bits, staining, cutting, mis-cutting etc and glued all but one in place. I left off the one that completes the join to the other wall (ie – ‘here is one I did a little earlier’ wall). After playing around further by applying the same plaster mix as to the first wall, it became obvious that it wasn’t going to work as well with so many small, discreet box areas. I then decided on using the packet of DAS that was lying around and that I’d take advantage of its impressionable surface when first put in place. That was when I went a bit ‘Continental knitting pattern’ via the Isle of Aran.
I found this article by Malcolm Smith (along with many others) in The Dolls House and Miniature Scene very interesting and useful.
Now all the wood needs cleaning up and possibly retouching up, the windows will need sealing in place properly but can’t be done until the other side of the wall is beamed and plastered and there are joints that need a bit of infill. All to be topped off by a general repaint, I think.To see the mini photos below in more detail, click on the first one and it will open out into a film strip gallery so that you can move from one to the other using the arrows at the side of the screen.